Montessori has been implemented in various schools, orphanages, and homes for decades. The Montessori method (also known as the Maria Montessori method) is a teacher training methodology developed by Italian physician and educator Maria Montessori.
It is based on the observation of children, emphasizing their individual experiences, both social and emotional life, in order to stimulate their development.
This educational philosophy can give your kids long-lasting confidence, which they can later use to tackle any challenge they will face in their lives. Many children raised with the Montessori method later on in their lives reflect and acknowledge that they became independent as they grew up.
So what exactly is so special about this method? We will discuss some of the reasons why this philosophy can give your kid a confident upbringing.
Montessori Methods Empowers Children to Learn:
Another reason why the Montessori method is beneficial to your child is that it liberates them. This philosophy gives children more confidence.
They are empowered to learn and participate at their own pace through active experience. Children can learn at their own pace since they will have individual spaces and materials to work with, which they have chosen themselves. When they are learning, they do not have to follow a set curriculum like in a traditional school setting because they can choose what they want to work on each day. Because of this, children will grow in confidence because they will know right from wrong when it comes to learning; and being independent means, you must know what you are doing, which is the hallmark of a confident person.
Montessori Methods is Based on Children’s Sensory Experience:
The first reason why the Montessori method is so beneficial to your child is that it promotes children’s active experience. The more active experience a child will have, the better their understanding of learning, and the better their confidence for life as well.
The term “sensory” means all things perceived by touch, taste, sight, sound, or smell. Therefore, the more your child will interact with these sensual things; they will genuinely understand what it means to learn and how it makes them feel when they learn new knowledge and skills.
In Montessori schools, children are encouraged to have a hands-on approach when learning. It will allow them to use their senses and understand the concepts they learn in school.
Montessori Methods Bring Out the Individuality in Children:
Montessori pedagogy focuses on individuality. In reality, children are not born equal. Every single one comes with different strengths and weaknesses, which means you should view every child equally but differently at the same time. When you give your child a Montessori method education, they will learn to develop their strengths while improving their weaknesses.
They will also be encouraged to master the concepts that they find difficult, and this will make their personalities stand out because of how well they have worked on these skills. A Montessori method can bring out the best in your kids; different skill sets can benefit them later in life.
Montessori Methods Encourage Children to Work on Their Own:
The Montessori method teaches children to work on their own. One of the lessons that the method teaches is how to work on one’s own by doing a task in a given amount of time and being able to complete it with or without help from another person. So instead of being rushed or forced, children are given time to work independently. And without being distracted by other movements around them.
When your child learns how to do something on his own, it will also give him a chance to learn responsibility. And this confidence will later help him grow up healthy and confident about everything he does in life.
Children are constantly given their own responsibilities and challenges to solve. They are also taught how to do various things on their own. They learn that they have control of what they do and how they perform tasks that they do as well. They develop their decision-making skills, which gives them confidence in life.
These are just a few of the most important reasons why the Montessori method is a great way to help young children develop confidence and a positive attitude in life.
You may have heard about this method, but making use of it can be very challenging for most parents. That is because you need to prepare and organize the environment for your children so that they can learn through their senses. To help you with this, here are some tips that you need to follow:
5 Ways To Raise Confident Children
1. Preparing the Environment – The first thing you need to do is prepare the environment for your child. You will need to buy materials to interact with their environments, such as different kinds of toys and materials. And you will also need to make sure that the room where your child will be able to do most of these activities is clean and tidy so that it makes sense for your children.
2. Helping Them Explore Their Small World – You need to allow your child to explore his surroundings and help him explore his small world. You can do this by letting your children explore the materials, toys, and instruments you have bought to help them learn through different sensory experiences.
3. Allowing Them to Work on Their Own – The third thing that you need to do is allow your child to work on his own by giving him time and the freedom to work independently without being distracted by anything else. It is best done in a quiet room where they can focus on doing something without any other distraction.
4. Encouraging Them to Try New Things – You need to encourage your child to try new things. When given a chance, they will try out new materials and toys that interest them, which will encourage them to explore and gain more knowledge in their environment.
5. Letting Them Learn from Their Mistakes – Lastly, you also need to let your children learn from their mistakes so that they can gain experience in handling various situations on their own.
The bottom line:
If you are a parent and you want to raise a confident, responsible, and hardworking child, then the Montessori method is a good thing to try. It helps children develop these important qualities through various activities, such as exploring their surroundings, working on their own, and exploring their interests. It works great as it allows children to learn by doing. No matter your child’s age, this is the ideal method for you and your child to develop these great qualities together.
Information sourced from Andrea Gibbs